TO APPLY TO DOWNTOWN MAGNETS HIGH SCHOOL:
- Apply online at ECHOICES application (if hyperlink does not work, please go directly to: www.echoices.lausd.net). Begin application by clicking BLUE APPLY NOW BUTTON located at the top right of the page.
- On-time application period began October 1st and ended in November, 2019, BUT YOU MAY STILL APPLY LATE.
- Instructions are provided on the echoices website as to how to create a late application. The late application window opens on February 1st, 2019 for Fall, 2019 school enrollment.
- If you wish to apply for the Winter/Spring Semester 2019 (same year). the enrollment application period opened at www.echoices.lausd.net on December 3rd. Please note Winter/Spring semester enrollment is highly limited and open for acceptance pending space availability.
- You will need an email address to create a PARENT ACCOUNT. Once you create an account, click on the link provided in your email and fill in application form.
- Select Downtown HS (Business) (also known as DBM) if you or your child is interested in magnet pathways and instructional themes related to Business/Finance or Fashion. DBM is comprised of the following two academies: 1) The Academy of Fashion Design or 2) The Academy of Finance. You or your child would choose one of these two pathways after being selected, during the enrollment process (April, 2019).
- Select Downtown HS (Computer Science/Engineering/MultiMedia) (also known as EIM) if you or your child is interested in magnet pathways and instructional themes related to Engineering, Multi-Media/Digital Arts. or Computer Engineering. EIM is comprised of the following three academies: 1) Academy of Informational Technology (Multi-media), 2) Computer Engineering or 3) Academy of Engineering. You or your child would choose one of these three pathways after being selected, during the enrollment process (April, 2019).
- The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program is another pathway we offer our students. IB is a rigorous academic program offered at only 3 schools in LAUSD. For more information on IB visit the IB website at http://www.ibo.org or contact our IB Coordinator, Ms. Marilyn Watt, at email@example.com.
CAMPUS TOURS OF DOWNTOWN MAGNETS HIGH SCHOOLS (DBM & EIM located jointly at 1081 West Temple Street)
Located minutes from the heart of the business and financial center of Los Angeles, Downtown Magnets High School began as the Downtown Business Magnet (DBM), a component of LAUSD’s expanding voluntary integration program. When the Electronic Information Magnet (EIM) was created in 1994, DBM adopted the name “Downtown Magnets” to incorporate both magnets in its name.
We have made steady improvements to our API score over the past 6 years and we are currently ranked as the #2 traditional high school in our Educational Service Center with an API score of 826. The U.S. News & World Report honored DMHS in April of 2013 by ranking us as one of the top 500 schools in the nation for our students’ high quality of college-readiness and success on Advanced Placement exams. We have also been identified as one of the top 25 most transformative schools in the nation by Newsweek for having an exceptional graduation and college-going rate.
Students come to DMHS for a variety of reasons, but almost all of them leave us and go on to college. The Class of 2013 has continued this trend with 71% of the graduates gaining acceptance to a 4-year school and 27% going on to attend a 2-year college. Approximate 65 colleges visit our school every year and we send students to visit their campuses all year round. Students who attend Downtown Magnets consider themselves college-bound and we consider each student a candidate for a college prep curriculum. We have an open policy concerning AP courses and encourage all students to enroll. We also offer a robust schedule of honors classes.
There is more to DMHS than just schoolwork. Students need to be able to have fun as well. Although we are limited in our facilities, we still run a competitive sports program with teams that compete in the Freeway League for basketball, tennis, soccer, softball, cross country, and track. Many of these teams went on to compete in the CIF Finals.
For students with more academic pursuits in mind, our award winning Debate Team competes in district tournaments and has participated at the national level with great success. We also field an Academic Decathlon team every year..
DBM and EIM comprise Downtown Magnets High Schools. Students enrolled in either school participate in one class per semester related to their pathway (theme). All other classes in a student's schedule meet A - G requirements (such as grade-level English, grade-level Math, Social Studies, History, PE, Foreign Language, etc.). Classes are taught by teachers well-versed in their content areas. Students from both schools intermingle throughout the day and share many of the same teachers.
Among Downtown Magnets High Schools accomplishments: We are a Magnet School of America School of Distinction (their highest honor awarded to only 44 magnet schools in America); home of Teachers of the Year; Home of high SBAC test scores combined, for both English and Math, in the District; Home of the award winning, nationally recognized DMHS Debate Team; our school has a 99% college acceptance rate (72% attending four year colleges); home of an LAUSD recognized Academic Decathlon Team; Challengers for city championships in various sports including boys and girls tennis and basketball.
Learn more by perusing our Academic Course Curriculum Catalog (please click link for information).
It is very hard to describe on paper what DMHS has to offer. Please feel free to contact the Magnet Coordinator, James Altuner, for more information or a private tour: (213) 443–2424 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are affiliated with the National Academy Foundation, California Partnership Academies, and the Los Angeles Public Library.
Our two magnet schools are:
Downtown Business Magnet
Electronic Information Magnet