Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year at Downtown Magnets High School (DMHS). Our commitment to our students remain steadfast. DMHS teachers and staff are dedicated to ensure that every student achieve high standards of academic excellence and character in a safe, learning environment. Our students will become STELLAR in their interactions.
DMHS students exhibit STELLAR daily:
- Technologically Savvy
- Effective Communicators
- Lifelong learners
- Aware: environmentally, socially and globally
- Responsible in everyday interactions.
Our school provides a quality learning environment where students learn critical thinking skills to collaborate and improve their communities. Through our diverse pathways, engineering, computer science, media arts, business, and fashion design, we ensure that students are applying their knowledge to real-world situations.
We know that success at school is a joint venture with parents and families. I encourage you to attend our events including the monthly Downtown Dialogue with principal and read our Downtown Debrief (newsletter) to participate in our school. With you alongside our teachers and staff, Downtown Magnets Suns will shine brightly.
In addition to the parent conferences and other events, here are some additional ways that you can join us in making your student successful:
Discuss the school and the work the student has brought home often, and daily, if time permits.
• Set high standards for the work that is performed.
• Guide the development of good time management and study skills.
• Stay in touch with the classroom teachers and counselor. The more you communicate with us, the better we are able to personalize your student’s experience at DMHS
• Attend and participate in school activities as much as possible.
• Sign up for PASSport account to see grades on a regular basis (see Mr. Freddy Avellanda in parent center, if you have not signed up or need assistance)
I wish all of you a great Spring semester, and I do hope you stop by to see me. I look forward to meeting all of you.